The lull.

Can we talk about the lull? Does anyone know about the lull or like, how to handle the lull?

Because right now, I can't really deal. I'm gonna say it and I know I am not the first to admit it- I WANT SUMMER. I know I'm not alone because I've heard several teachers talk about it in the hallway and yes, I have initiated the conversation a few times. What will summer bring, you ask? Oh, I don't know. Infinite happiness, lots of sleep, travel, fun times with friends and family. Great things, really.


I think the deal with the lull is the approach and I'm going to be completely honest with you all reading this. I could be a lot better about being more energetic and excited amidst this lull that I'm trying to shake, but I have been just as bad as my kids. Honesty is good, right? Yes, Jasmine. I completely understand why my students are fed up. STAAR just slapped them across the face and they're preparing for EOC exams. Add all of the stresses of homework, outside activities, and all of the middle school drama they choose to deal with- they're juggling a lot and so are we.


However, I have been trying to change their outlook. If I can change mine, sooner or later that will be the norm in my classroom and I'm hoping it's going to happen sooner. So, what have I been doing? This is my approach.


1. Get excited about Pop Show.

I will be the first to admit that I am not that excited about Pop Show. Truth be told, I am kind of afraid of it because it takes a lot. I overthink absolutely everything, students complain about my choreography, and quite frankly, I miss UIL. Not the stresses of it, goodness no. Their work ethic, their drive, the great repertoire (No, I'm not saying pop music is awful, it's just not my forte. A little music joke for you. You're welcome.) I miss working diligently on something, but I had to realize that Pop Show is theirs. It's their reward and it's their chance to sing the music that they have been DYING to sing all year. I've seen great talent in my program and I am so proud of my students. It also helps to pick music that they are familiar with, but also mix in stuff that makes your heart happy, even if that song is considered a throwback. 

2. Work hard and sleep.

I'm tired. I could sleep for days if someone let me. We just came back from our spring trip to San Antonio, which started at 3 am Saturday morning and ended at 2 am Sunday morning. I barely slept when we returned thinking of all of the work to be done, but it helps to do what you can at decent hours. Staying up late and trying to get everything done around 11 pm is not going to help you at all. It's okay to say no to work and yes to sleep. 

3. Make plans.

About a month ago, I planned a trip to Chicago in June to visit one of my best friends, Rachael, and I am counting down the days. I've never been to Chicago and I cannot wait to hang out with one of my friends and also support her in her endeavors as a fabulous performer in Hair! I'm looking forward to dropping work in June and jetting off to Chicago. I'm also looking forward to planning a bridal shower for my big sister, going back to Baylor to assist with choir camp, my niece's 1st birthday party and TCDA! I'm looking forward to fun things and not dreading each day until June 6th. 

4. Take advantage of the time left.

I'm just now realizing how much I enjoy my students' company. (Not that I absolutely despised them before. I've always loved them- I refer to them as 'my kids' for goodness sake!) It might seem odd for someone to spend hours upon hours with a bunch of middle schoolers and actually enjoy it, but I love what I get to do! I also just realized that I have 8th graders in my choir. Strange, right? I love my 8th graders. They are hilarious, sweet, ridiculous human beings whom I have grown to love and admire. They're smart and driven and I will miss them. I think I'll miss all of my students over the summer. I'm an odd person, I understand this.

5. Survive.

This is what I've been told since the start. I need to survive. Has this year been rocky? You have no idea. Or maybe you do if you've been through your first year of teaching OR if you're going through this with me (WE CAN DO THIS). We have to survive. We shouldn't try to move mountains. We should do what we can and have small victories along the way. Those small victories will turn into greater ones further down the line and there's no point in killing ourselves to try and play catch up with others. I saw a quote the other day that made so much sense to me, mostly because I am so bad about comparing myself to absolutely everyone.

"So yes, life is a race. But it is your own. The only people you’re competing against are your past selves; the only people you are chasing are the ones you are meant to become."


(I have yet to find who said this, so if you know, please let me know)


For the most part, this entire blog post is a pep talk for myself, but if it helps you, I'm glad that I could share. The lull is only temporary and I promise we're going to make it...because we have to. We simply have to choose whether the lull will consume us or if we're going to work through it. I choose to work through it. 



Thanks for reading,


Ms. Reed

Popular Posts