The Honeymoon Phase: Week 2

Well, the second week is over and I could tell you that the honeymoon phase is over and everything has gone South, but I would be lying! The more I go to school (go to school...SO WEIRD SAYING THAT), teach, work with the students and my teachers- the more I love it. This past week was my second week- granted it wasn't a full week, but it was filled with so many opportunities and me learning a lot...the hard way (because that's the only way, really).

The first week was a whirlwind  There are always lots of names to learn and schedules/routines to get used to and it could have been overwhelming, but it wasn't. I went into student teaching a little timid, then terrified, moved to excited, but I was fully aware that I would be working. This week was a really off-week with the Monday holiday and starting on a Tuesday. I mean, I'm thankful for the holiday, but I haven't had a full week yet, so I'm kind of dreading to see how a Monday-Friday week of work is going to tire me out. Should be interesting! Anyway, this week was incredible! Here's a recap:


Tuesday- Show Choir practice is always lots of fun for me. Most of the kids that are in that ensemble are in A Cappella, so I get to see them a lot. The more I'm around them, the more comfortable they become with me and I appreciate that. It makes it a little easier for me to be me- quirky? (Am I really though? Idk. I think so, maybe.) We're still preparing for the Broadway Revue coming up, so they were learning a lot of choreography before one of their directors left for a convention in Houston. So it was imperative that they focus, but as we know, it's hard for high schoolers to focus on anything at 7:45am, BUT they got it done by Thursday. So, all is well. 1st period boys are always a handful. You never really know how it's going to go until they get there. We've been pushing sight-reading lately because:

1. Contest 

2. It's so much fun!! (Think I'm kidding? Because I'm not. I love sight reading.)
So, we usually start with warm ups, then sight reading and then move on to the repertoire they have to learn for contest. They're so impatient and they get so rowdy, but those guys are so talented. I'm a little afraid of warming the men up. Not because I'm not capable, but it can be frightening getting in front of a group of guys as a woman and asking them to sing and you can't sing in their octave, you know? I always believed that men should teach men and women should teach women. Now I know that's a bunch of crap, but I have got to kick this 'I can't teach the men' feeling. I saw my high school director kick her men in the rear, so I know it's possible. 

Tuesday was also the day that I fell flat on my face trying to do another mock UIL sight-reading piece with the 4th period girls. Nothing was clicking and the Sopranos were having difficulties with hearing the 3rd above the Altos which is where they should have been- alas, they weren't. It's okay though. It's a learning experience, right? So I shouldn't feel discouraged, but I was. Until I talked with Lauren and she put a lot in perspective for me. I'm getting a real experience at Waco High and stuff like that happens. It has to happen. Not everything will come so easily, so if I need to make crazy faces and reach for the sky to get my ladies to sing 'la' correctly, then I will. I have to.

Wednesday-Friday went by super fast. I did a lot of observing and singing along with the students to learn most of the parts since I would soon be teaching the pieces. It's really interesting to be singing ON THE RISERS with a bunch of high schoolers. And no, I'm not saying that I am superior to them in any way, but you should try going back to high school and singing with a choir and tell me it's not weird. You can't because it is. It's also a lot of fun. I get to step in and help them solidify pitches, rhythm, and any questions they may have about diction. I'm an expert on any foreign language **this is not a fact** but to them, I speak the best French, Italian, etc. It's the best!!

Another good part about Friday was that I got to help choreograph a dance for the Broadway Revue in Show Choir! I get to take all of my skillz that I gained from middle school show choir and high school Dinner Theatre performances and apply so many of the goofy, awkward, fun dances to these upcoming performances.

Next week calls for lots of sleep and excitement for the things to come. I am so excited for all of the performances that we have coming up and there's talk of me running some rehearsals on my own. I'm ecstatic and utterly terrified, but it shall be fun! I look forward to it!



Thanks for reading!

Ms. Reed


Popular Posts