Too many feels too soon

The past two weeks have flown by. I remember starting about a MONTH ago, you guys. 1 month. And I honestly have a little love/hate relationship with what I'm going to be going through when I finally am done at Waco High. I have 3 weeks until my first placement is done and I am so sad just thinking about it. I have grown to really love the schools and its students. A few of them are starting to realize that I won't be there forever...I have to go. But when they ask me, "Ms. Reed, do you have to go? What about Big Show and graduation?"

I KNOW. What about them though? I mean, obviously, I am going to be at Big Show. There is no way I'm missing out on seeing the freshmen boys kill it singing songs by The Temptations. It's too precious, but it sucks.They have so much coming up and I wish that I could stay, but alas, Lake Air Montessori awaits my arrival.


And that's the thing that I've always known about teaching. I've been there, but I was on the other end. If there were any two people that I was scared to leave, they were my choir directors. I was one of those kids. You know the ones. They start and finish their day either in or around the choir room, ran for any leadership position in choir, spent any extra time there and never missed an opportunity to eat lunch in the choir room with your favorite teachers. Choir was my safe haven and it still is. It will continue to be that way. I was devastated leaving my directors.


But this time, instead of me leaving them with sad goodbyes and tears galore, I have to raise my tender heart to be strong because I will always have to deal with students leaving. It's an awful thing to have students for 4 years and realize one day that they're leaving your program. You won't see them every day like you're used to and you have to adjust without them. Now, I'm not saying that leaving this placement is the same way. I'm literally 5 minutes away from Waco High when I go to the Montessori school, but when I start teaching (you know, like a real job?), it becomes the norm. I guess it's time to change my mantra. Things change and people have to go to grow...right? Is that a thing? That's a yes, Jasmine. They have to.


The awesome thing about teaching at Waco High and just in general are the connections I get to make with students and the teachers there. I feel so comfortable with the teachers and the students. All of them really respect me and my opinions. I get to be a teacher and a mentor. Whoever thinks that teaching means nothing and that we're just babysitting children is completely wrong. I can't imagine being in a position where I'm around children and young adults all day and not having a care in the world about what you say and how you say it- and even what you do in and out of the classroom. Teachers are and should be great influences for their students. I don't have to create the next Eric Whitacre or anything, but I'd love to have a hand in that, you know?


I am so thankful for the students at Waco High. They make me laugh and they make every single day interesting. I dread the last day there, but there's so much coming up that I can't get caught up in the near future. Solo and Ensemble, concerts, Sight-Reading night and Choir Talent Show are the obstacles that we are going to overcome in the next few weeks and I'm excited! Leaving will be bittersweet...but I'm thinking positive thoughts.




Thanks for reading,

Ms. Reed



They know...
Student: "You are just so wonderfully awkward."


Spider? Nope. False alarm.

Freshman boy: "Ms. Reed you were scared weren't you?! You shouldn't be. I would have protected you!" 


But...my Instagram is private.
Student: "I know, I just want to know you're there."


Things you don't usually hear in school.
Student: "Stop twerking on her! STOP TWERKING ON HER!"






Popular Posts