Popsicle sticks

WOW, YOU GUYS. I started my second placement after spring break happened and guess who hasn't blogged about it since then? ME. I'm the worst, I'm aware. I actually had one written and everything  I just didn't review, edit, and post it. SENIORITIS HAS STRUCK AND I AM NOT ASHAMED, but I feel like I need to share some things with you all, hence this super late blog post about my primary placement.

Some things I've learned while student teaching in a primary school:

1. It takes 10 minutes to get them to sit in a circle. They turn out looking more egg-shaped than anything. It is a real struggle, but we're getting through it.
2. Pre-K and K children give endless hugs and like to yell things like, "YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL  MISS REED!" and I am 100% okay with that.

3. Lesson planning at a Montessori school is the most difficult because we have so many different age groups in one classroom, so organization is key.
4. You always have to be 15-20 steps ahead of the children. ALWAYS.
5. Getting sick is going to happen because germs are constantly lurking about, ready to steal all of your happiness, hopes, and dreams. THIS IS A FACT. I have been sick so much in this placement and I have learned that antibacterial is a necessity.
6. No matter how nervous you are, THEY DO NOT CARE. They don't notice and you are the expert. **This is my favorite one, you guys.

So, how has your placement been, you ask? GREAT QUESTION! It has been awesome. The primary and elementary babies make my heart smile so much. Having the opportunity to teach them songs about dancing and getting to be the biggest goofball everyday is exciting. Teaching general music is a very hard job, though. Like I said, the lesson planning is bananas. You have to over plan, which is required. You always have to be ready for anything, BUT working with several age groups, making sure that each child is grasping every concept, and that you're reaching every kid is difficult. For the most part, I'm doing a good job at this. I was a little hesitant at first because I felt like a fool singing about pizza and potatoes (no worries, the babies have a show coming up about food- I'm not crazy). Thing is, as a general music teacher, we teach fundamentals- what "do" is, hand signs, what a quarter note is, how to notate using Popsicle sticks and teaching them to march in 4/4 time is so much fun. We are allowed to be creative in every sense of the word and we are asking the same of our students. Thank God, they haven't entered the phase where they actually care about what other people think of them. They have so many ideas and they want to share them all and I think to myself, how did I not think of that? I'm 23 and I feel like I have no sense of creativity unless I'm planning something and even then it takes lots of brainpower. I'm getting old. This is proof.

Moving on from the realness of the creativity that has been stripped from us and the craziness that is lesson planning--I absolutely love the compliments that I receive. Some of them are super sweet! Like that all caps rendition from numero dos up there is not an exaggeration, that actually happened. A little boy looked me dead in the eyes and told me that I was beautiful while they were lining up to leave class one day. Another little girl never fails to give me a hug and compliment my earrings, my top- basically anything that I'm wearing that day. But, let's be real, not all of the encounters that I have will be as precious.

Some could be just plain weird- STORY TIME: It's my second week at the Montessori school and this child walks in and walks right up to me and says "I think I know you from somewhereee"
Me:  "Oh really!?"
He replies, "Yes. Are you my sister...?"
Me: "No, sir. I am not!"
About ten minutes later the child turns around and whispers, "Mom...mommmm...MOMMY."
And my reply to that is, "No, silly! I'm not your mom!"
Flattering? Yes? Maybe? I don't know. I am only 23, I don't need children!

BUT apparently, I do need friends because all of the 4th and 5th grade students feel as if we are the best of friends. I was helping teach recorder and trying to keep the uninterested students on the back row engaged and for some reason, they found me and my facial expressions to be hilarious. So, they all started declaring me their besties. (Nope, i'm your teacher.) One kid even looked at me yesterday and asked with the most serious face, "Miss, are you on Facebook?" I died. RIDICULOUS. YOU'RE 10, DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT FACEBOOK IS?! He doesn't, but apparently another boy on the same row somehow has a FB...isn't there an age limit? No? I don't know.

Anyway, while I am having all of the fun with the primary/elementary kiddos, I still get to teach middle school. Our ladies are going to UIL this week and we have been gearing up for that. I'm really excited for them. Our 7th grade boys and our 6th grade choir have been really fun to teach as well. I think the coolest thing about teaching any age level is figuring out exactly how you fit. I fit at Waco High. Everyone at that school made me feel like I was important and that my opinion mattered- maybe it didn't, but still! I was incredibly shy at first, but by the end of my placement, I felt like myself. Now, I'm happy to say that I didn't waste any time at the Montessori school. My older students think that I am weird and I am. They laugh at my awful/hilarious faces and they taunt me for always having goldfish, tea, or coffee in hand, but they respect me as their teacher. I am so thankful that I was called to teach music. It is such a rewarding experience and I enjoy it. I have about a week and a half left at this placement, one seminar, and then I am DONE with my undergrad. CRAZY, but exciting!!


Real life update: I have had two interviews. One at Galena Park ISD and in CFISD. Unfortunately, I did not receive the position at North Shore Senior High in Galena Park, but I have high hopes and I am trying to keep the faith about finding a job in Houston or Waco. I appreciate any and all prayers from you lovely people who read this blog. I know I will find a job, but it is the most stressful thing ever.


Thank for reading,
Ms. Reed



Fun Quotes

ANGEL OF MUSIC
Student: "Miss, can you serenade us?!"
Me: "Noooo.."

Getting to know you
Me: "Tell us your favorite dish!"
Student: "Ooh!! mine is satellite!"

Prank calls
Student: (In the most country accent ever) "Yea Miss, one time I prank called them down at the Church's chicken.."
Me: (CRYING LAUGHING) "STOP! Just no!"

Bargains
Scene: I was eating goldfish in 6th grade choir
Student: "Miss, can I have one! I won't tell anyone!"
Me: "No, that wouldn't be fair."
Student: "Miss, if you give me one, I'll tell you if I think you're ugly or pretty."
Me: "WHAT?!"
Student: "I'll tell you anyway- YOU'RE PRETTY! Now can I have some?!"
Me: "NO! haha"







Popular Posts