Fall Semester Rewind

WARNING: This will be long and drawn out, but how many chances do I have to talk about all of the amazing and also stressful things that happened to me during the fall semester as a first year teacher? STAY WITH ME. It won't be that bad. I mean it might. It's been a while since I've actually written anything. I have high hopes!

I made it! And if you're a first year teacher- or even a teacher that has made it to this point, CONGRATULATIONS!! We did it! We have done things. Amazing things, like change a kid's life, we taught someone something, you're awesome! This is basically what I had to keep telling myself throughout the fall semester. Let me back up a bit...

Hello. My name is Jasmine and I am a middle school choir director. (That's an odd sentence to type, read, and also say.) Imagine teaching middle school. Whenever I tell someone what I do all they say is, "Oh, bless you" and "It takes a special person." They're right. I'm one of the special ones. Originally, I had a dream- a HUGE dream. I wanted needed to teach high school choir. After all, that's where I fell in love with music. I excelled in high school choir, so I wanted to change lives in a high school choir. However, I had no idea I would be called in a totally different direction. I had two interviews for high school positions and then this position popped up out of nowhere and by the grace of God, I was interviewed in person, by phone, and offered the job within a week BEFORE I graduated from Baylor. SIC 'EM.

"So, what now?" A question I still ask to this day, if I'm being completely honest. I had this job and now I'm expected to teach kids how to sing.

In short, the fall semester was everything I imagined. Here's the lengthy version.

MONTH 1-2:
152. That's how many students I have in my program. So, that meant that I had 152 names to memorize. We made it through the handbooks, rules, expectations and such, and the get to know you games (good times!) BUT this is middle school, so now you're asking, "What hurdles did you have to jump over?" Good question. Feelings. This sounds crazy, but stay with me. I had this really awful feeling that I wouldn't make it. I felt like my students hated me- turns out they don't. They just didn't appreciate a new person coming in and changing things. Normal. I felt overwhelmed, tired, discouraged, I was completely out of ideas, I felt like my kids weren't learning anything, and I felt alone. Not lonely- alone. Because I put myself in that situation. I have the problem that most people have- I don't want to ask for help. I have a mentor who is as sweet as can be in the room next to mine, as well as 2 high school directors on the same campus, and I rarely asked for help until I was on the verge of a breakdown. Not good. If there's something you can take from this novel, it's this: Ask for help.

I got better at this. I stopped reinventing the wheel. I asked questions and I reflected. I learned a lot about the different types of students I had in my classroom. Their learning styles, what worked for one and what didn't work for another. I learned to adapt and fast. They're not kidding when they tell you that flexibility is important in the classroom. It's everything. We started with basics and sadly, we didn't have a fall concert. It was a lot easier and less stressful and with Region Choir (I had 3 students make it, by the way! I'm still proud!) and the craziness of being a first year teacher biting at my heels, my mentor felt it would be okay to not have one. She was correct, but next year, I'm so ready for one!

MONTH 2-3ish:
My students had a Veteran's Day performance and our Winter Concert AKA my first concert ever. I'm going to be honest, I was stressed and my students noticed. Having a student say, "IT'S OKAY. MS. REED IS JUST REALLY STRESSED RIGHT NOW. LET HER BREATHE" as I entered the room gave me a little hint. I stressed for nothing though. The first two months were rocky. I'm not going to sugar coat it. Some students refused to sing because they didn't feel comfortable or they just didn't feel like it. My intermediate boys didn't do much singing either, mainly because of behavior issues, BUT it got better. It always does. They worked hard for me. I really do appreciate that.

If there's anything I can take from that last month and a half, it was to let go a little more and to trust my students. My students are smart and talented and as long as I prepare them, they will rise to the occasion and surprise me. They gave a beautiful Winter concert and yes, I was nervous leading up to it. A few things running through my mind prior to the big day: Do they know the order of the concert? Do they know their music? OH GOODNESS, IS IT EVEN MEMORIZED?! Do they know what to wear? Do they know where to sit? Can they get on and off the stage without killing each other or themselves? I HAVE TO SPEAK TO THE PARENTS. I HAVE TO ADDRESS THEM. OH NO. What on earth do I wear? How do I even do life at the moment? I plowed through all of these questions and concerns with a lot of help from my mentors, my colleagues, the administrators, my family, my friends, and my students.

I wouldn't have made it to Christmas break without any of those people! So, now I have a few days to get ready for a big semester. UIL preparation/craziness, TMEA, UIL, 6th grade show, 2 pop shows, and a talent show stand in the way of summer. I don't want to blaze right through it. I want to fully enjoy this semester. I'm going to try my best to not freak myself out about the fact that I am indeed a teacher and it is up to me to prepare my students for a contest in March. That's the big thing on my brain at the moment- I know this because of the nightmares of me in the sight reading room happening ALREADY- but any time I begin stressing, I have to remind myself that as long as I prepare them, they will rise to the occasion. I have to do my absolute best to make sure my students succeed and I'm sure they will!

For those of you gearing up for the Spring semester, good luck!

Here are my top 5 favorite conversations and quotes from last semester:

1. Numbers matter.
Student #1: Ms. Reed, how many kids do you have?!
Me: NONE. I don't have any children.
Student #2: Not true, I'm one of your kids!
Me: True!
Student #1: Do you have a boyfriend?!
Me: Nope.
Student #1: So, whenever you go on a date and the guy asks how many kids you have, you can say, '160' and hope he doesn't run away!

2. SO PUNNY.
Reviewing for our composer of the month quiz:
Me: What year was Bach born?
Student: Oh, you know, way Bach when.


3. LOVE. True love.
*I played my students a recording of me singing from my senior recital*
Student 1: THAT'S YOU?!
Student 2: You are awesome- wait, are you married?!
Me: No, I'm not.
Student 2: Why not?!
Student 3: ALL of the guys should be lining up to be with you with a voice like that!

4. Perspective is everything.
*Planning region rehearsals*
Me: Okay, so we'll have rehearsals in the mornings since football practices in the afternoons, wait- are you on the football team?
Student: Well, sort of.
Me: Sort of?
Student #2: He's the water boy!
Student #3: He's the VARSITY water boy!

5. THE STRUGGLE IS REAL
Student: Ms. Reed, are you okay? You were kind of....off today.
Me: What do you mean?!
Student 2: You were in a permanent state of frustration.
Me: Oh.

Popular Posts