TCDA Afterthoughts


DISCLAIMER: I began writing this a week after TCDA, but I couldn't bring myself to finish it because I refused to write something I wasn't proud of/that didn't make sense to me. I think this post will do.

One year ago, I was reeling from my very first TCDA, so I blogged about it, naturally. Days later, it was shared by friends and on TCDA's FB. Later, my face and blog post was printed in their magazine Texas Sings! and a quote from it was printed in a brochure they sent to every member in the great state of Texas. 

It's safe to say that I am extremely lucky blessed and incredibly grateful for the love that blog has received. It's so surreal to have something that I write for fun be shared and appreciated widely, so TCDA, thank you. Not only for making me kinda famous, but for always planning a convention for choir directors to look forward to. 

This summer, you can bet I was extremely excited to attend TCDA. Last year, it served as a spring board for ideas and jump-starting the year, so I'm always ready for my short trip to San Antonio for convention. If you've read my post about TCDA, you know some of what happens, so there's no need for me to re-visit that. What's different about this year is that I couldn't stray from this one thought while I was at convention.

TCDA celebrated 60 years of service and what a lovely celebration it was. The one thing that stood out to me were the dedicated music educators who served and will continue to serve and advocate for music education.

A servant heart
Whenever I hear that phrase, I immediately think about the people who serve in a church setting, but I firmly believe that every music educator has a servant heart and everyone knows it. It doesn't matter what religion you practice or what God you serve, we all choose to dedicate our lives and hearts to making music education better because someone before us did the same. 


Walking around the convention center, attending several sessions and meetings, one thing was extremely clear; TCDA only worked because of the hard work of the educators who fight to keep it alive. Music means something to each of us and it was incredible to watch some of my friends and colleagues serve in this capacity. The amount of knowledge that was shared is always appreciated and I only had one thought while watching all of this awesome unfold- I hope I am contributing in some way.

And I am.

By loving my job.
By serving all of the students I have the privilege to work with every day.
By giving my time to this art.
By contributing my positivity and uplifting spirit to make our school atmosphere better.
By choosing to have a leadership position in my region.

By attending several conventions and professional development meetings that I feel are sometimes tailored to everyone else BUT me.
By reaching out and leaning on colleagues for help when I'm confused, lost, or in need of some advice.
By never settling for less, I am contributing to this small world. This world full of educators who have a passion for music and love to serve.

It's an honor to know so many choral music educators who are diligently working day in and day out simply because they love what they get to do. Watching so many people hard at work at TCDA was great. I only hope that some day, I can assist or present at TCDA or TMEA and give someone some small token of knowledge that I've learned from educators who helped me along the way.

So, while we settle down and get ready to tackle another hectic year, remember your servant heart. TCDA celebrated 60 years. I'm thrilled that I have a chance to devote my time to giving it 60 more. 



Thanks for reading,

Ms. Reed

Popular Posts