Promises.

Let's talk about New Years Resolutions and how I am bad at them. 
A resolution is defined as follows:
res·o·lu·tion
ˌrezəˈlo͞oSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. a firm decision to do or not to do something.

If I'm being honest with you, I have some problems deciding to do anything in my day-to-day life. Indecision is the biggest thing I deal with every single day. To do or not to do is always the question with me, so when someone asks me what my resolution is (because New Years! YAYAYAY!), I just laugh, smile, try to look cute and then run the other way yelling, "I DON'T KNOW!!" because I don't. 

I really don't.

But with this sweet sense of a new year coming up, I felt something needed to change. Do I have a New Years Resolution? Absolutely not. I could not do that if someone paid me, but I have made a promise to myself.

The Promise
You see, I have fallen prey to the Facebook "dream". I am constantly on that site. It's addictive and it's fun to interact and share things with awesome people, (like this blog, hello!) BUT what's also happened is that no matter the awesome things I'm doing, I am constantly comparing myself, my life, my choices, my everything-- to others. 

I know, I know, "Comparison is the thief of joy." Teddy Roosevelt was spot on in saying that. I know that people are putting their best faces forward on any social media, but that doesn't mean that my mind completely comprehends that at times. It doesn't stop my anxious soul from feeling left behind and trust me when I say that it doesn't make me hate my friends for their accomplishments. I LOVE IT AND I LOVE THEM. But I've been so consumed in social media for the past year that I'm forgetting what's important in life- and that's my happiness. 

I get so distracted by bait-click stories and Buzzfeed quizzes/articles that can be light-hearted, but some that weigh heavy on me. I read comments from random strangers and I notice things. Some small, some huge, but all of it stays with me. I'm a generally happy person, but I think it's time I step back from Facebook and some other social media platforms this year and focus on who I am and what I want. I'm hoping that means that I fall in love with blogging again. Just typing all of this makes me extremely happy.

I can read the stack of books I insisted on ordering from Amazon while on Thanksgiving break...I know. I'm judging me too.


I can actually get to sleep at a decent time rather than scrolling endlessly through random posts.

I can focus on things that are more important than "What my favorite cat picture says about my life."

This doesn't mean that I'm quitting cold turkey, I'm not crazy, but I'm hoping it means that books, rest, people, and maybe even travel will fill my Facebook void. 

I'm hoping I can keep this promise and find a happy medium.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Here's to figuring life out--


Jasmine 

Popular Posts