My Last Week at WHS

This past week was my last week at Waco High. The Sunday before it started, I immediately dreaded it...which is weird because any sane person would be excited for Friday to come/Spring Break to start, but in my eyes, it was the end of my high school placement. Remember how I said it would be hard? Yea, I was right, it was.

This week was kind of crazy, if I'm being honest. TAKS testing happened on Monday, so most of our juniors were out and one of my cooperating teachers was called to administer the test, so it was my other teacher and I working triple time for our students to sing. Was it easy? No. It was like pulling teeth. I'm pretty sure there was something in the water or the weather was affecting everyone because most of our students were going insane.


Almost everyday that I woke up, my thought was "I only have ___ days left." I knew that wasn't the best way to look at things, but it was hard to find the positive side to me leaving. Tuesday and Wednesday were ten times better than Monday. Our goal for the week was to make sure that the students knew their UIL music, so in each class period, they were to come in, warm-up, and sing through each piece of music. This week, for some reason, I just kind of felt really at home with what I was doing. I was more comfortable than I had ever been with each ensemble and how unfortunate is that? For me to feel right at home at a place and then get snatched out of it at the end of the week. What changed? I don't know, but my goal from the start of this placement was to help in any way I could, so Tuesday and Wednesday rehearsals were successful.


Then came Thursday! Also known as the day of the talent show aaannd almost everyone forgot about it. When I walked up to the parking lot across from the school (because someone for some reason decided that the best time to have a fire drill/start a fire was at 7:45 am) I was asked what I was singing in the talent show because I was closing it, yaayyyy. Most of our kiddos were gone for the day for One Act business, so 3rd period was a bust, but 1st and 2nd went well.We got through all of our pieces and then we spent the rest of the day gearing up for the show that night.


We set the stage and had to set light cues, and the rest of the classes were really crowd control. We had a few students sing through some of their acts and the next thing I knew, I was on stage running through mine. Being the terrified, sheltered singer that I am, this was hard for me, but not as hard. I chose to sing "Love You I Do" from Dreamgirls by Jennifer Hudson and 4th period heard me sing it once through and just about murdered me for not singing like that in class. I mean, let's be honest- I can't just belt every song in class. Anyway, the day flew by and the talent show was happening. This is when my brain was making the connection that I was almost done. As I was watching each act go by, I started to reflect on my time with my students and I was definitely fighting back tears. The last thing I wanted to do was get up and sing, but I did. I felt honored to be closing the show and from the response of the crowd and the 2 students who ran out to "propose" to me, I think I did alright. haha


Friday. My last day. I woke up in a somber mood and I really just wanted to get to school. I walked in and the kids sang "We'll miss you, Ms. Reed" to the tune of Happy Birthday and they brought donuts, orange juice, coffee and root beer floats to share. I had ice cream for breakfast, you guys. I received cookies (which are delicious, oh my goodness), a card, and a letter from a student and that's when the tears started flowing. I was there, surrounded by my students and reading the card and letter and thinking "Holy crap, after today, I'm done" and I couldn't help but cry- also, the fact that they were the sweetest card and letter I had ever received didn't really help my tears. After we took pictures, it was time to get the day started.


I taught since it was my last day and then I realized that by 1st period's reaction, I didn't really notify the students that Friday would be my last day. They were a little upset and I heard things like "WHY ARE YOU LEAVING?!?" and "I love you, Ms. Reed, but you can't leave." 1st and 2nd period flew by and then came 3rd. I walked in and my cooperating teacher says "Alright, last one" and I'm thinking "WHY WOULD YOU SAYYY THAT?!" and then more tears happened BEFORE class even started. So, there I am, fighting through tears during warm-ups- how awesome. A Cappella sang through their UIL pieces and the women and men followed right after and by the end of the last men's song, I was crying. Lets just go ahead and say that I cried a lot, okay?


The rest of the day was great. I helped teach 4th period and my cooperating teachers and the theater teacher took me out to lunch at Olive Garden! After lunch, it just seemed like the day was flying by. One of my students asked me something like "On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most, how much did being here impact you?" Which is an excellent question. My answer? 12. I could have picked any school in Waco or I could have moved home to student teach, but I didn't want to. Many people doubted my experience at Waco High would be good and I am happy to say that they were wrong. I experienced so much more at Waco High. I had no idea that I would be able to walk away feeling as comfortable and confident in my capabilities as a music teacher. I have had so many opportunities at Waco High and I am so thankful for that. The teachers that I got to interact with and the students I had the chance to teach are incredible. Yes, it was difficult and not everyday was a walk in the park, but it never will be easy. If we want to make an impact and change lives, it's going to take some hard work and dedication and I  feel that I gave every ounce of myself to Waco High's Choir and I will continue to do so.


After school, most of the students took full advantage of coming by to say their goodbyes and also adding my first name- clever, clever girls. I ended up staying late to help build a trunk and all of the students departed for their break. As I was leaving the school, I felt a little choked up and then I got home and saw the best quote:

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." -A. A. Milne

Leaving Waco High was hard. Starting next week, I will have a new placement at the Montessori school. It'll be weird to have to learn all new names and an entirely new schedule. I'll be leaving behind all of the students that made me want to go to school every single day. I'll have a new cooperating teacher and I won't know about all of the happenings at the high school, but I'll get to work towards building the same relationships that I made at Waco High. One of my students that gave me the card said that she had never felt so cared for in such a short amount of time. That makes me feel amazing, especially since when I was in high school, I always felt cared for and loved by my teachers. The fact that I had the chance to get to know each student, be a mentor, teach something that I love, and also learn in the process is outstanding. I couldn't have imagined that my student teaching at WHS would have gone so well, but I am so happy that it did. I have loved every second of it. Will I miss it? Yes, but I am so lucky to have had the chance to teach and inspire so many students at Waco High. 



Thanks for reading,
Ms. Reed

Popular Posts