Why can't we be friends?

Ask any music major if they know absolutely everyone in their theater program or band/orchestra, their answer would be a resounding 'no'. Sadly, mine is too. I know a few instrumentalists thanks to Mu Phi Epsilon and I am so happy that fraternity created so many great friendships, BUT nowadays in college and in schools, there's little to no camaraderie among the arts. If you're an artist, you're secluded. An instrumentalist?- you can find them in a practice room. "Theater people are just weirddd, right?" And vocalists get dubbed as the loud, obnoxious ones. I'm not saying this isn't true- I am loud and I can be obnoxious, but I'm also a little weird. Would you find me on someone's stage? No. Not in a million years, but where did the bonds between the arts go?

WHY CAN'T WEEEEEE BE FRIENDS?!


I ask this question because as you may know, I'm student teaching at WHS (duh!) and since I've been there, I noticed something from the start. Choir and theater go hand in hand. Mostly because the women that are involved are probably the coolest humans ever, but they know that in order for them to have successful programs, they need each other. Not only that, they want input. It is THE COOLEST thing. Something else that I noticed was how present the administration was in the school and not only the school, the arts.


Their principal at WHS is so involved in the program that they've included him in their musical and the Show Choir shows. Their fine arts director is so incredibly visible and it is so rare that you see someone in that position on a Saturday afternoon cutting out pieces of styrofoam for their theater One Act Play. Stuff like that doesn't happen normally. In college, we get so caught up in our craft, which is important, but when it comes to you needing someone else's expertise/talent that you don't see everyday, it just gets weird.


I have loved sitting in on One Act rehearsals. I get to see my students in a different area and they excel in it. I love getting to support them by going to their festivals and seeing how something like that works, especially since I was nowhere near a theater in high school.


As fine arts educators, we are constantly being told that we have to fight for our place in the educational system. We have to be advocates, but not only for ourselves- for the other types of art that make up or creative world. And yes, it's hard making new friends and reaching out to new people, but without someone standing beside you through the downfalls and the hard battles, we'd lose everything. We have to stick together or else it could all be taken from us. That's why I love being at Waco High. Instead of going home today, I chose to stay and watch OAP rehearsal. Afterwards, I was rewarded with pancakes, bacon, and good conversation with incredible high-schoolers and their director. I'm realizing more than ever how much I'm going to miss being there.


This week is going to be especially hard for me. It's my last one there.


Thanks for reading, 
Ms. Reed


Mostly unicorns

Student: "I was like a unicorn, except I existed"

Boys Boys Boys

Student: "Ms. Reed, was that your boyfriend?!? I saw you hug him!"
Me: "No!"
Student #2: "How long was the hug? Longer than 3 seconds? That's an intimate hug if it was longer than 3 seconds!!"

Weather talk

Me: "It's so bad! It's gonna pour!"
Student: "It's okay, Miss. We got The Lord! I'm gucci!"

Popular Posts